Reading with macular degeneration can be challenging, but with the right tools and techniques, it can still be possible to enjoy books, newspapers, and other printed materials.
At Low Vision Optometry of Central Pennsylvania in Lititz, we offer low vision aids and devices to people with permanent vision loss who want to make the most of their remaining vision.
We’re passionate about offering the best care for patients with macular degeneration. That’s why we’ve created a list of top tips to make it easier for you to read with this life-changing condition.
What Causes Macular Degeneration?
Macular degeneration is an eye disease that affects the part of the retina that’s responsible for sharp, detailed vision (known as the macula). When the macula deteriorates, it’s harder to read the small print and see fine details. This can make it difficult to read any kind of text, whether books, newspapers, product labels, menus, or instruction manuals.
How to Read with Macular Degeneration
- Use magnification devices. Devices like magnifying lamps, magnifying glasses, and electronic magnifiers make the small prints appear large and easier to read. Specialized reading glasses and low vision aids like video magnifiers can project enlarged images of text on a screen.
- Consider alternative forms of reading like audiobooks, digital books with adjustable font sizes, and large print books.
- Tele-microscopic glasses are prescription glasses that are fitted with a telescope-like device that sits on top of the glasses. They allow people with low vision to read, write and do other activities with comfort and ease.
- Use high-contrast text and background. In addition to enlarging text, e-readers can be programmed to provide maximum contrast between the text and background. You can either buy or download an e-reader or change the settings on your electronic devices.
- Visit your low vision optometrist.
Book A Low Vision Specialist in Lititz
Reading with macular degeneration can be challenging, but it’s still possible to do many of the things you love with the right low vision tools and techniques. By using low vision aids and devices, you can continue to enjoy the pleasure of reading.
Our low vision eye care team at Low Vision Optometry of Central Pennsylvania in Lititz will assess your vision and help you overcome any difficulties related to having low vision.
Call us today to schedule an appointment.